Monday, April 14, 2008

Vocabulary: Week 1


We're discovering that there are some tricky vocabulary in our literature circle book, A Wrinkle in Time, along with some unique characters! Here you can post challenging, new, or unusual words you find in the text (along with page number, dictionary definition, and a sentence that you create that uses the vocabulary word) to help us all understand the story better. Make sure that you read what others have posted to avoid duplicate entries. Use what you have learned about Internet search to find an Internet dictionary to look up the words. If you need reminders on how to do this, refer to the post on Tuesday, April 8.

Here is an example post by Ms. Szymczak:

word: isolated (p.3)
Dictionary definition: separated from other persons or things, alone
(from http://dictionary.reference.com)
Sentence: Mary felt isolated on the tropical island in the middle of the ocean.


You are required to post 1 new vocabulary word each week. Make sure you read through and know your classmates posts because on Friday, we will play a fun vocabulary game with the words posted! There will be prizes for winners! :)

6 comments:

Kathy Szymczak said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I found this word in Chapter 1. I had no idea what it meant until I looked it up! I think it sounds funny!

word: scudded (p.3)
definition: to run or move quickly or hurriedly.

I woke up late this morning so I scudded my way to school.

Anonymous said...

word: exclusive (p.11)
Definition: excluding or trying to exclude others

Miley Cyrus went to an exclusive restaurant for celebrities only.

Kathy Szymczak said...

Interesting words so far!
Where did you find these definitions? What search tools did you use? Please add what websites you used to find these definitions. Keep up the good work! I have to scud out of here! ;)
See you in class tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

I found my definition using the same website as Ms. Szymczak. It is dictionary.com

Anonymous said...

I actually used Google search to find a different dictionary website. I typed in "dictionary for kids" into Google search and I clicked on the first website it listed. I didn't really understand some of the other definitions other websites gave me, so I thought one for kids would be better. It was http://www.wordcentral.com/

I think I will end up using this for all of my words I have to look up.